In 2021 affordable uniforms were passed into law.
The change in law promises a new way forward for families. Schools will be removing the need for mandatory branded items. While transformation may not happen overnight, every step towards making school life inclusive is worth making.
To help our families and our community, Helmingham Primary School and Nursery will be offering parents and carers the opportunity to donate and take used items of uniform free of charge each term.
The Children’s Society, in partnership with the Child Poverty Action Group, and Children North East have collaborated on resources in line with the DfE guidance, which outline what the new law means for schools and how changes can be implemented.
Please see the information leaflet for parents below.
- Wellies/ outdoor shoes should be provided and kept in school - we will always attempt to be outside in all weathers.
- A set of spare/old clothing should be kept in school for use in outdoor learning activities - this does not need to be school uniform (an old tracksuit, warm sweatshirt and waterproof clothing is recommended).
- Red school jumpers and white polo shirts - preferably with our school logo. (Clothing with our school logo is available in the school colours at: https://myclothing.com/ ).
- Red fleeces may be worn (plain or with school logo) over jumpers in colder weather.
- School trousers, shorts or skirts (in navy) should be worn - not leggings (leggings/ tights should only be worn under skirts or dresses in colder weather. Cycling shorts may be worn under skirts in summer).
- Tights should be navy or red.
- Socks - should be plain and colours of school uniform
- PE T-shirts- should be plain (preferably in the colours of their house team).
- PE clothing should include shorts as well as plain jogging bottoms.
- Jogging bottoms are not suitable for use on PE apparatus indoors.
Whilst Nursery children do not require full uniform, they can wear a red school sweatshirt and also have a school book bag.
- Children should be wearing black school shoes- not boots.
- Shoes should be fastened and stay on the feet- not slip on pumps.
- School shoes should be flat- not heeled.
- Children should have plimsols to wear in school or wear clean school shoes.
- Trainers are needed for outdoor PE lessons
*It is important for all children to have a pair of trainers in school every day for completing the Golden Mile*
- Long hair should be tied up
- Stud earrings may be worn but must be removed for PE- other jewellery should not be worn
- Hair accessories should be small/ minimal in school or natural colours.
- Children can wear a watch but this will be their responsibility and will need to be removed for PE
- Nail polish should not be worn
- Name labels should be added to all items of clothing
Branded uniform can still be ordered from My Clothing Limited. Please click on the link below for more details.